Stars and Garters!
(My). An expletive, or mild kind of oath. The stars and
garters of knighthood. Shakespeare makes Richard III. swear “By my
George, my garter, and my crown !” (Richard III., iv. 4.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Stars and Garters from Infoplease:
- Stars and Garters! - Stars and Garters! (My). An expletive, or mild kind of oath. The stars and garters of knighthood. ...
- Epitaph On John Rankine - Poems and Songs of Robert Burnsby Robert Burns On Tam The Chapman Lines On The Author's Death ...
- Louisa M. Alcott: Among the Maids - Although this story is about Jo's boys, her girls cannot be neglected, because they held a high place in this little republic, and especial care was t
- Chapter 1 - The Picture of Dorian Grayby Oscar Wilde The Preface Chapter 2 Chapter 1 The studio was filled with ...
- Chapter 11 - The Picture of Dorian Grayby Oscar Wilde Chapter 10 Chapter 12 Chapter 11 For years, Dorian Gray ...