Staff of Life
(The). Bread, which is the support of life.
Shakespeare says, “The boy was the very staff of my age.” The allusion
is to a staff which supports the feeble in walking.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Staff of Life from Infoplease:
- staff of life: meaning and definitions - staff of life: Definition and Pronunciation
- Staff of Life - Staff of Life (The). Bread, which is the support of life. Shakespeare says, “The boy was the ...
- Gordon Parks - Parks, Gordon Parks, Gordon (Gordon Roger Alexander Buchanan Parks), 1912–2006, ...
- Alfred Eisenstaedt - Eisenstaedt, Alfred Eisenstaedt, Alfred, 1898–1995, American photographer, b. Dirschau, ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index spp. S.P.Q.R. S.P.R. Sprachgefühl spraddle spraddle-legged sprag Sprague ...