St. George's Cross
in heraldry, is a Greek cross gules upon a field argent. The
field is represented in the Union Jack by a narrow fimbriation. It is
the distinguishing badge of the British navy.
St. George's flag
is a smaller flag, without the Union Jack.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on St George's Cross from Infoplease:
- St. George's Cross - St. George's Cross in heraldry, is a Greek cross gules upon a field argent. The field is ...
- Red Cross: meaning and definitions - Red Cross: Definition and Pronunciation
- Saint George - George, Saint George, Saint, 4th cent.?, perhaps a soldier in the imperial army who died for the ...
- Greek Cross - Greek Cross Same shape as St. George's cross (+). The Latin cross has the upright one-third ...
- Union Jack - Union Jack The national banner of Great Britain and Ireland. It consists of three united crosses- ...