A small admixture, a flavouring; as, “He is all very well, but
there's a spice of conceit about him.” Probably the French espèce.
“God's bounte is all pure, without ony espece of evyll.” —Caxton: Mirrour of the World. i.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Spice from Infoplease:
- spice: meaning and definitions - spice: Definition and Pronunciation
- spice - spice spice, aromatic vegetable product used as a flavoring or condiment. The term was formerly ...
- The Spice Girls - Biography of The Spice Girls, The 1990s girl group who sang "Wannabe"
- spice: The Spice Trade - The Spice Trade Spices from India, E Asia, and the East Indies were in demand from ancient times; ...
- spice: Bibliography - Bibliography See J. W. Parry, Spices (2 vol., 1969); F. Rosengarten, Jr., The Book of Spices (rev. ...