Cakes given in Staffordshire and Cheshire on All Souls' Day, to
the poor who go a-souling, i.e. begging for soul-cakes. The
words used are -
Soul, soul, for soul-cake
Pray you, good mistress, a soul cake.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Soul Cakes from Infoplease:
- soul cake: meaning and definitions - soul cake: Definition and Pronunciation
- Soul Cakes - Soul Cakes Cakes given in Staffordshire and Cheshire on All Souls' Day, to the poor who go ...
- Halloween History - Halloween History The tangled origins of the October 31 holiday by Shmuel Ross Related Links ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index soma Somali Somalia Somali Current Somaliland Somaliland Protectorate somat- ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: S - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "S"