(3 syl.). Misapplication of words; an expression opposed to the
laws of syntax; so called from the city of Soli, in Cilicia, where an
Athenian colony settled, and forgot the purity of their native
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Solecism from Infoplease:
- What does it mean? solecism - solecism -- Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format If your mama says you ain't ...
- solecism: meaning and definitions - solecism: Definition and Pronunciation
- Solecism - Solecism (3 syl.). Misapplication of words; an expression opposed to the laws of syntax; so called ...
- Soli - Soli Soli , ancient city of Cilicia, SW of Tarsus, in present-day Turkey. It was founded c.700 B.C. ...
- John DeWitt V (excerpt) - They have the power of "organizing, arming and disciplining the militia, and of governing them when in service of the United States, giving to the sep