(French). Self-styled, would-be.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Soi-disant from Infoplease:
- soi-disant: meaning and definitions - soi-disant: Definition and Pronunciation
- Soi-disant - Soi-disant (French). Self-styled, would-be. Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index snub snubby snub-nosed snuck snuff snuffbox snuffer snuff film snuffle snuff stick ...
- astroturfing - astroturfing: n. 1. The use of paid shills to create the impression of a popular movement, through ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: S - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "S"