The smooth field (Anglo-Saxon, smethe, smooth), called
in Latin Campus Planus, and described by Fitz-Stephen in the
twelfth century as a “plain field where every Friday there is a
celebrated rendezvous of fine horses brought thither to be sold.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Smithfield from Infoplease:
- Smithfield, district, London, England - Smithfield Smithfield, district of the City of London, England. Beginning in the 12th cent., it was ...
- Virginia ham: meaning and definitions - Virginia ham: Definition and Pronunciation
- Smithfield: meaning and definitions - Smithfield: Definition and Pronunciation
- Smithfield, town, United States - Smithfield Smithfield, town (1990 pop. 19,163), Providence co., N R.I.; set off from Providence and ...
- Smithfield - Smithfield The smooth field (Anglo-Saxon, smethe, smooth), called in Latin Campus Planus, and ...