Slough of Despond
A deep bog which Christian has to cross in order to get to the
Wicket Gate. Help comes to his aid. Neighbour Pliable went with
Christian as far as the Slough, and then turned back again. (Bunyan:
Pilgrim's Progress, part i.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Slough of Despond from Infoplease:
- Slough of Despond - Slough of Despond A deep bog which Christian has to cross in order to get to the Wicket Gate. Help ...
- Pliable - Pliable One of Christian's neighbours, who went with him as far as the Slough of Despond, and ...
- Louisa May Alcott: Playing Pilgrims - "Christmas won't be Christmas without any presents," grumbled Jo, lying on the rug.
- Louisa M. Alcott: Nat's New Year - I don't expect to hear from Emil yet, and Nat writes regularly, but where is Dan? Only two or three postals since he went. Such an energetic fellow as
- Louisa M. Alcott: Ten Years Later - If anyone had told me what wonderful changes were to take place here in ten years, I wouldn't have believed it, said Mrs Jo to Mrs Meg, as they sat on