A predatory band in the American Revolutionary War which roamed
over the neutral ground robbing and fleecing those who refused to take
the oath of fidelity. (See Ecorcheurs.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Skinners from Infoplease:
- skinner: meaning and definitions - skinner: Definition and Pronunciation
- Otis Skinner - Skinner, Otis Skinner, Otis, 1858–1942, American actor, b. Cambridge, Mass. Skinner made his ...
- Burrhus Frederic Skinner - Skinner, Burrhus Frederic Skinner, Burrhus Frederic, 1904–90, American psychologist, b. ...
- mule skinner: meaning and definitions - mule skinner: Definition and Pronunciation
- Skinner box: meaning and definitions - Skinner box: Definition and Pronunciation