Buying and selling church livings; any unlawful traffic in holy
things. So called from Simon Magus, who wanted to purchase the “gift of
the Holy Ghost,” that he might have the power of working miracles.
The friar in the tale of Reynard the Fox; so called from
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Simony from Infoplease:
- simony - simony simony , in canon law, buying or selling of any spiritual benefit or office. The name is ...
- simony: meaning and definitions - simony: Definition and Pronunciation
- Simony - Simony Buying and selling church livings; any unlawful traffic in holy things. So called from Simon ...
- simoniac: meaning and definitions - simoniac: Definition and Pronunciation
- Simon Magus - Simon Magus Simon Magus , Samaritan sorcerer who attempted to buy spiritual power from the ...