(Mrs.). Sidney Smith says it was never without awe that he saw
this tragedy queen stab the potatoes; and Sir Walter Scott tells
us, while she was dining at Ashestiel, he heard her declaim to the
footman. “You've brought me water, boy! I asked for beer.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Siddons from Infoplease:
- Siddons: meaning and definitions - Siddons: Definition and Pronunciation
- Sarah Kemble Siddons - Siddons, Sarah Kemble Siddons, Sarah Kemble, 1755–1831, English actress. The most ...
- Siddons - Siddons (Mrs.). Sidney Smith says it was never without awe that he saw this tragedy queen stab the ...
- Roger Kemble - Kemble, Roger Kemble, Roger, 1721–1802, English actor and manager. During his years as the ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index shpt. shr. shraddha shrank shrapnel shreadhead shred shredded wheat shredder ...