called in ancient legends the “fiery tears of St. Lawrence,” because one of the periodic swarms of these meteors is between the 9th
and 14th of August, about the time of St. Lawrence's festival, which is
one the 10th.
are said by the Arabs to be firebrands hurled by the angels against
the inquisitive Jinns or Genii, who are for ever clambering up on the
constellations to peep into heaven.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Shooting Stars from Infoplease:
- meteor - meteor meteor, appearance of a small particle flying through space that interacts with the ...
- shooting star: meaning and definitions - shooting star: Definition and Pronunciation
- primrose - primrose primrose, common name for the genus Primula of the Primulaceae, a family of low perennial ...
- Shooting Star - Starring Ken Ogata, Yosuke Eguchi, Mami Shimizu, Jun Kunimura, Micho Akiyama
- Meteors and Meteorites - Meteors and Meteorites This crater in Arizona was caused by a 30 m wide, 100,000 ton meteor. The ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring