(pronounce she-lay-lah). An oaken sapling or cudgel
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Shillelagh from Infoplease:
- shillelagh: meaning and definitions - shillelagh: Definition and Pronunciation
- Shillelagh - Shillelagh (pronounce she-lay-lah). An oaken sapling or cudgel (Irish). Source: Dictionary of ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Shcharansky Shcherbakov she shea butter sheaf shealing shea nut shear sheared ...
- Black Joke - Black Joke An old tune, now called The Sprig of Shillelagh. Tom Moore has adapted words to the ...
- Tipperary Rifle - Tipperary Rifle (A). A shillelagh or stick made of blackthorn. At Ballybrophy station an itinerant ...