Seven oulverins so called, cast by one Borthwick.
And these were Borthwick's `Sisters Seven,
And culverins which France had given;
Ill-omened gift' The guns remain
The conqueror's spoil on Flodden plain.
Sir Walter Scott: Marmion iv.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Seven Sisters from Infoplease:
- The Seven Sisters - The Seven Sisters The “seven sisters” is a group of historically women's colleges ...
- Seven Sisters - Seven Sisters Seven oulverins so called, cast by one Borthwick. And these were Borthwick's ...
- oil industry: Bibliography - Bibliography See A. Sampson, The Seven Sisters (1975); D. Yergin, The Prize (1991).
- Winnipeg, river, Canada - Winnipeg Winnipeg, river, c.200 mi (320 km) long, issuing from the north end of Lake of the Woods, ...
- Karle Wilson Baker: Good Company - To-day I have grown taller from walking with the trees, The seven sister-poplars who go softly in a line; And I think my heart is whiter for its parle