An order of angels distinguished for fervent zeal and religious
ardour. The word means “to burn.” (See Isaiah vi. 2.)
Thousand celestial ardours [seraphs] where he stood
Veiled with his gorgeous wings, up springing light,
Flew through the midst of heaven.
Milton: Paradise Lost,
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Seraphim from Infoplease:
- seraph - seraph seraph , plural seraphim, supernatural being. The name seems to derive from the Hebrew word ...
- seraphim: meaning and definitions - seraphim: Definition and Pronunciation
- Seraphim - Seraphim An order of angels distinguished for fervent zeal and religious ardour. The word means ...
- angel: meaning and definitions - angel: Definition and Pronunciation
- Resurrection - Poemsby Emily Dickinson Love's Baptism Apocalypse Resurrection 'T was a long parting, but ...