A Perso-Turkish dynasty which gave eleven kings and lasted 138
years (1056-1194). It was founded by Togrul Beg, a descendant of
Seljuk, chief of a small tribe which gained possession of Bokara.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Seljuks from Infoplease:
- Turks - Turks Turks, term applied in its wider meaning to the Turkic-speaking peoples of Turkey, Russia, ...
- Seljuk: meaning and definitions - Seljuk: Definition and Pronunciation
- Turks: Seljuk Empire - Seljuk Empire At the beginning of the 11th cent. a great wave of Seljuk Turks, led by Tughril Beg, ...
- Seljuks - Seljuks A Perso-Turkish dynasty which gave eleven kings and lasted 138 years (1056-1194). It was ...
- Seljuks - Seljuks: Seljuks: see Turks.