Secret de Polichinelle
(Le). No secret at all. A secret known to all the world;
old news. We have also
“Hawker's News,” “Piper's News.” The secrets of Polichinelle are
“stage whispers” told to all the audience.
Entre nous, c'est qu'on appelle
Le secret de polichinelle.
La Mascotte ii. 12.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Secret de Polichinelle from Infoplease:
- Secret de Polichinelle - Secret de Polichinelle (Le). No secret at all. A secret known to all the world; old news. We have ...
- Piper's News - Piper's News or Hawker's Hews, Fiddler's News. News known to all the world. “Le ...
- Old News - Old News Stale news. Hawker's (or piper's) news. “Le secret de polichinelle.” A ...
- Hawker's News - Hawker's News or “Piper's News.” News known to all the world. “Le secret ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: S - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "S"
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring