The sire is called a bull, its females are cows, the offspring
are called pups; the breeding-place is called a rookery, a group of
young seals is called a pod. The male seal till it is full grown is
called a bachelor. A colony of seals is called a herd. A sealer is a seal-hunter, seal-hunting is called scaling, and the seal
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Seal from Infoplease:
- harbor seal - harbor seal harbor seal, most commonly seen seal of the Northern Hemisphere, Phoca vitulina. Harbor ...
- fur seal - fur seal fur seal, fin-footed marine mammal of the eared seal family (Otaridae), highly valued for ...
- seal, stamp - seal seal, stamp made from a die or matrix of metal, a gem, or other hard substance that yields an ...
- seal, in zoology - seal seal, carnivorous aquatic mammal with front and hind feet modified as flippers, or fin-feet. ...
- earless seal: meaning and definitions - earless seal: Definition and Pronunciation