Scot and Lot
A levy on all subjects according to their ability to pay. Scot
means tribute or tax, and lot means allotment or portion allotted. To
pay scot and lot, therefore, is to pay the ordinary tributes and also
the personal tax allotted to you.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Scot and Lot from Infoplease:
- scot and lot: meaning and definitions - scot and lot: Definition and Pronunciation
- Scot and Lot - Scot and Lot A levy on all subjects according to their ability to pay. Scot means tribute or tax, ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index sci. sciaenoid sciamachy sciatic sciatica sciatic nerve science science fiction ...
- Shot - Shot Hand out your shot or Down with your shot—your reckoning or quota, your money. (Saxon, ...
- Termagant - Termagant The author of Junnus says this was a Saxon idol, and derives the word from tyr magan ...