(Peter). The name of a man who sold his shadow to the
devil, in Chamisso's tale so called. It is a synonym for any person who
makes a desperate and silly bargain.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Schlemihl from Infoplease:
- Schlemihl - Schlemihl (Peter). The name of a man who sold his shadow to the devil, in Chamisso's tale so ...
- Adelbert von Chamisso - Chamisso, Adelbert von Chamisso, Adelbert von (Louis Charles Adelaide de Chamisso), ...
- Ernst Ludwig Kirchner - Kirchner, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Ernst Ludwig , 1880–1938, German expressionist painter and ...
- Nocturne Indien - Starring Jean-Hugues Anglade, Clémentine Célarié, Dipti Dave, Iftekhar, Otto Tausig
- Shadow - Shadow A ghost. Macbeth says to the ghost of Banquo - “Hence, horrible shadow! unreal ...