(French, without trousers). A name given by the
aristocratic section during the French Revolution to the popular party,
the favourite leader of which was Henriot. (1793.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Sans Culottes from Infoplease:
- sans-culotte: meaning and definitions - sans-culotte: Definition and Pronunciation
- sans-culottes - sans-culottes sans-culottes [French,=without knee breeches], a term loosely applied to the lower ...
- Sans Culottes - Sans Culottes (French, without trousers). A name given by the aristocratic section during the ...
- sans-culottides - sans-culottides sans-culottides , the last five days of the year in the French Revolutionary ...
- Sans Culottides - Sans Culottides The five complementary days added to the twelve months of the Revolutionary ...