A dominie Sampson. A humble pedantic scholar, awkward,
irascible, and very old-fashioned. The character occurs in Sir Walter
Scott's Guy Mannering.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Sampson from Infoplease:
- Sampson: meaning and definitions - Sampson: Definition and Pronunciation
- Zabdiel SAMPSON - Zabdiel SAMPSON (1781-1828) SAMPSON, Zabdiel, a Representative from Massachusetts; born in ...
- William Thomas Sampson - Sampson, William Thomas Sampson, William Thomas, 1840–1902, American naval officer, b. ...
- Ezekiel Silas SAMPSON - Ezekiel Silas SAMPSON (1831-1892) SAMPSON, Ezekiel Silas, a Representative from Iowa; born in Huron ...
- Fred Sampson PURNELL - Fred Sampson PURNELL (1882-1939) PURNELL, Fred Sampson, a Representative from Indiana; born on a ...