A Jewish party which denied the existence of spirits and
angels, and, of course, disbelieved in the resurrection of the dead; so
called from Sadoc (righteous man), thought to be the name of a
priest or rabbi some three centuries before the birth of Christ. As
they did not believe in future punishments, they punished offences with
the utmost severity.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Sadducees from Infoplease:
- Sadducee: meaning and definitions - Sadducee: Definition and Pronunciation
- Sadducees - Sadducees Sadducees , sect of Jews formed around the time of the Hasmonean revolt (c.200 B.C.). ...
- Sadducees - Sadducees A Jewish party which denied the existence of spirits and angels, and, of course, ...
- Pharisee: meaning and definitions - Pharisee: Definition and Pronunciation
- Herodians - Herodians Herodians , Jewish political party of the early 1st cent. A.D., related to the dynasty of ...