A conspiracy to assassinate Charles II. and his brother James
on their way from Newmarket. As the house in which the king was lodging
accidentally caught fire, the royal party left eight days sooner than
they had intended, and the plot miscarried. It was called the Rye House
Plot because the conspirators met at the Rye House Farm, in
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Rye-house Plot from Infoplease:
- Rye House Plot - Rye House Plot Rye House Plot, 1683, conspiracy to assassinate Charles II of England and his ...
- Rye-house Plot - Rye-house Plot A conspiracy to assassinate Charles II. and his brother James on their way from ...
- Lord William Russell - Russell, Lord William Russell, Lord William, 1639–83, English statesman; younger son of the ...
- William Carstares - Carstares or Carstairs, William Carstares or Carstairs, William, 1649–1715, Scottish ...
- Algernon Sidney - Sidney or Sydney, Algernon Sidney or Sydney, Algernon, 1622–83, English politician; son of ...