A common name given to a fox, from its russet colour.
Dann Russel, the fox, stert up at cones,
And by the garget hente Chaunteclere
And on his bak toward the wood him here.
Chaucer: The Nonne Prestes Tale.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Russel from Infoplease:
- Russell: meaning and definitions - Russell: Definition and Pronunciation
- Morgan Russell - Russell, Morgan Russell, Morgan, 1886–1953, American painter, b. New York City. Russell, ...
- ae: meaning and definitions - ae: Definition and Pronunciation
- Charles Taze Russell - Russell, Charles Taze Russell, Charles Taze, 1852–1916, founder of the movement whose ...
- William Fletcher Russell - Russell, William Fletcher Russell, William Fletcher, 1890–1956, American educator, b. Delhi, ...