(Salvator). An Italian painter, noted for his scenes of
savage nature, gloomy grandeur, and awe-creating magnificence.
Whate'er Lorrain light touched with softened hue.
Or savage Rosa dashed, or learnëd Poussin drew.
Thomson: Castle of Indolence, canto f.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Rosa from Infoplease:
- Rosa: meaning and definitions - Rosa: Definition and Pronunciation
- Monte Rosa - Rosa, Monte Rosa, Monte , massif, in the Pennine Alps, on the Swiss-Italian border. Its highest ...
- Salvator Rosa - Rosa, Salvator Rosa, Salvator , 1615–73, Italian baroque painter, etcher, and poet of the ...
- João Guimarães Rosa - Rosa, João Guimarães Rosa, João Guimarães , 1908–67, Brazilian ...
- Juan Manuel de Rosas - Rosas, Juan Manuel de Rosas, Juan Manuel de , 1793–1877, Argentine dictator, governor of ...