(The). The screen between the nave and chancel, where
the rood or crucifix was elevated. In some cases, on each side of the
crucifix were either some of the evangelists or apostles, and
especially the saint to whom the church was dedicated.
And then to zee the rood-loft,
Zo bravely zet with zaints.
Percy: Ballad of Plain Truth, ii. 292.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Rood-loft from Infoplease:
- Rood-loft - Rood-loft (The). The screen between the nave and chancel, where the rood or crucifix was elevated. ...
- jube: meaning and definitions - jube: Definition and Pronunciation
- rood - rood rood , crucifix mounted above the entrance to the chancel and flanked by large figures of the ...
- Nine Crosses - Nine Crosses Altar crosses, processional crosses, roods on lofts, reliquary crosses, consecration ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: R - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "R"
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring