(St.), a Norman bishop of the seventh century, is
depicted fighting with a dragon, in allusion to the tale that he
miraculously conquered a dragon which infested Normandy.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Romanus from Infoplease:
- Romanus: meaning and definitions - Romanus: Definition and Pronunciation
- Romanus - Romanus (St.), a Norman bishop of the seventh century, is depicted fighting with a dragon, in ...
- Civis Romanus Sum - Civis Romanus Sum This single plea sufficed to arrest arbitrary condemnation, bonds, and scourging. ...
- Eudocia Macrembolitissa - Eudocia Macrembolitissa Eudocia Macrembolitissa , fl. 11th cent., Byzantine empress. At the death ...
- Constantine VII, Byzantine emperor - Constantine VII Constantine VII (Constantine Porphyrogenitus), 905–59, Byzantine emperor ...