according to Bede, derives its name from “Hrof,” a Saxon
chieftain. (Hrofs-ccaster, Hrof's castle.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Rochester from Infoplease:
- Rochester: meaning and definitions - Rochester: Definition and Pronunciation
- University of Rochester - Rochester, University of Rochester, University of, at Rochester, N.Y.; co-educational; chartered ...
- Wilmot: meaning and definitions - Wilmot: Definition and Pronunciation
- Rochester, John Wilmot, 2d earl of - Rochester, John Wilmot, 2d earl of Rochester, John Wilmot, 2d earl of, 1647–80, English poet ...
- Rochester - Rochester Rochester . 1. City (1990 pop. 70,745), seat of Olmsted co., SE Minn.; inc. 1858. It is a ...