(Italian). An assembly where the company is first entertained
to music, and then joins in dancing. The word originally meant music
reduced to a full score. (Latin, reductus.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ridotto from Infoplease:
- ridotto: meaning and definitions - ridotto: Definition and Pronunciation
- Ridotto - Ridotto (Italian). An assembly where the company is first entertained to music, and then joins in ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index rhubarb rhumb rhumba rhumb line rhumb sailing rhyme rhyme royal rhyme scheme ...
- Amy Lowell: The City of Falling Leaves - Leaves fall, Brown leaves, Yellow leaves streaked with brown. They fall, Flutter, Fall again. The brown leaves, And the streaked yellow leaves, Loosen
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: R - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "R"