Richard Coeur de Lion
“His tremendous name was employed by the Syrian mothers to silence
their infants; and if a horse suddenly started from the way, his rider
was wont to exclaim, `Dost thou think King Richard is in the bush?”' —Gibbon: Decline and Fall, etc., xi. 146.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Richard Coeur de Lion from Infoplease:
- Richard I: meaning and definitions - Richard I: Definition and Pronunciation
- Richard I - Richard I Richard I, Richard Cœur de Lion, or Richard Lion-Heart,1157–99, king of ...
- Richard Coeur de Lion - Richard Coeur de Lion (See Bogie.) “His tremendous name was employed by the Syrian mothers to ...
- Lod - Lod Lod , city (1994 pop. 51,200), central Israel. It is also known as Lydda. Its manufactures ...
- Limoges - Limoges Limoges , city (1990 pop. 136,407), capital of Haute-Vienne dept., W central France, on the ...