One who holds in an English university a professorship founded
by Henry VIII. Each of the five Regius Professors of Cambridge receives
a royally-endowed stipend of about 40. In the universities of Scotland
they are appointed by the Crown. The present stipend is about 400 or
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Regius Professor from Infoplease:
- Regius Professor - Regius Professor One who holds in an English university a professorship founded by Henry VIII. Each ...
- RP: meaning and definitions - RP: Definition and Pronunciation
- Brooke Foss Westcott - Westcott, Brooke Foss Westcott, Brooke Foss, 1825–1901, English prelate and scholar. From ...
- Samuel Rolles Driver - Driver, Samuel Rolles Driver, Samuel Rolles, 1846–1914, English clergyman and biblical ...
- Robert Sanderson - Sanderson, Robert Sanderson, Robert, 1587–1663, English clergyman. Gaining William Laud's ...