Reductio ad Absurdum
A proof of inference arising from the demonstration that every
other hypothesis involves an absurdity. Thus, suppose I want to prove
that the direct road from two given places is the shortest, I should
say, “It must either be the shortest or not the shortest. If not the shortest, then some other road is the direct road; but there cannot
be two shortest roads, therefore the direct road must be the shortest.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Reductio ad Absurdum from Infoplease:
- reductio ad absurdum: meaning and definitions - reductio ad absurdum: Definition and Pronunciation
- Reductio ad Absurdum - Reductio ad Absurdum A proof of inference arising from the demonstration that every other ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index rec recalcitrant recalcitrate recalculate recalescence recall Recamier ...
- Madhyamika - Madhyamika Madhyamika [Skt.,=of the middle], philosophical school of Mahayana Buddhism, based on ...
- Burden of a Song - Burden of a Song The words repeated in each verse, the chorus or refrain. It is the French bourdon, ...