The simplest of fieldworks, and very quickly constructed. It
consists simply of two faces and an angle formed thus A, the angle
being towards the object of attack. A corruption of redens. (Latin.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Redan' from Infoplease:
- redan: meaning and definitions - redan: Definition and Pronunciation
- Redan' - Redan' The simplest of fieldworks, and very quickly constructed. It consists simply of two ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index rec recalcitrant recalcitrate recalculate recalescence recall Recamier ...
- Crimean War - Crimean War Crimean War , 1853–56, war between Russia on the one hand and the Ottoman Empire, ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: R - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "R"