A lucky day; a day to be recalled with delight. In almanacks,
saints' days and holidays are printed in red ink, other days in black.
“That day, ... writes the doctor, was truly a red-letter day to
me.” —Wauters: Stanley's Emin Expedition, chap. vi. p. 111.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Red-letter Day from Infoplease:
- Red-letter Day - Red-letter Day A lucky day; a day to be recalled with delight. In almanacks, saints' days and ...
- red-letter: meaning and definitions - red-letter: Definition and Pronunciation
- White Moments of Life - White Moments of Life (The). The red-letter days or happy moments of life. The Romans used to mark ...
- Wednesday - Wednesday Woden-es or Odin-es Day, called by the French “Mercredi” (Mercury's Day). ...
- White Stone - White Stone Days marked with a white stone. Days of pleasure; days to be remembered with ...