is one who cries out (French, récrier); alluding to the
judicial combats, when the person who wished to give in cried for
mercy, and was held a coward and infamous. (See Craven.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Recreant from Infoplease:
- recreant: meaning and definitions - recreant: Definition and Pronunciation
- What does it mean? recreant - recreant -- Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format Known for fairness and generosity, ...
- Recreant - Recreant is one who cries out (French, récrier); alluding to the judicial combats, when the ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index rec recalcitrant recalcitrate recalculate recalescence recall Recamier ...
- Baffle - Baffle To erase the cognisance of a recreant knight. To degrade a knight from his rank. To be ...