Death recorded means that the sentence of death is recorded or written by the recorder against the criminal, but not
verbally pronounced by the judge. This is done when capital punishment
is likely to be remitted. It is the verbal sentence of the judge that
is the only sufficient warrant of an execution. The sovereign is now
not consulted about any capital punishment.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Recorded from Infoplease:
- record: meaning and definitions - record: Definition and Pronunciation
- recorder - recorder recorder, musical wind instrument of the flute family, made of wood, varying in length, ...
- sound recording - sound recording sound recording, process of converting the acoustic energy of sound into some form ...
- record player - record player record player or phonograph,device for reproducing sound that has been recorded as a ...
- tape recorder - tape recorder tape recorder, device for recording information on strips of plastic tape (usually ...