(1 syl.). The division of a county. Sussex is divided into six
rapes, each of which has its river, forest, and castle. Herepp is Norwegian for a parish district, and rape in Doomsday Book is used
for a district under military jurisdiction. (Icelandic hreppr, a
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Rape from Infoplease:
- rape, in botany - rape rape, in botany, annual herb (Brassica napus) of the family Cruciferae (mustard family), ...
- rape, in law - rape rape, in law, the crime of sexual intercourse without the consent of the victim, often through ...
- rape, territorial division, England - rape rape, name applied to each of the six obsolete territorial divisions (Hastings, Pevensey, ...
- broom rape - broom rape broom rape, common name for plants of the Orobanchaceae, the broom rape family. They are ...
- gang rape: meaning and definitions - gang rape: Definition and Pronunciation