(Latin). Former. We say, He is a quondam schoolfellow - my former schoolfellow; my quondam friend, the quondam candidate, etc.; also the quondam chancellor, etc.
“My quondam barber, but `his lordship' now.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Quondam from Infoplease:
- quondam: meaning and definitions - quondam: Definition and Pronunciation
- Quondam - Quondam (Latin). Former. We say, He is a quondam schoolfellow - my former schoolfellow; my quondam ...
- Lewis Carroll: A Game of Fives - Five little girls, of Five, Four, Three, Two, One: Rolling on the hearthrug, full of tricks and fun.
- Ode, Sacred To The Memory Of Mrs. Oswald Of Auchencruive - Poems and Songs of Robert Burnsby Robert Burns Robin Shure In Hairst Pegasus At Wanlockhead Ode, ...
- Flame - Flame A sweetheart. “An old flame,” a quondam sweetheart. In Latin, flamma is used for ...