One who banters or chaffs another. Daly, manager of the Dublin
theatre, laid a wager that he would introduce into the language within
twenty-four hours a new word of no meaning. Accordingly, on every
wall, or all places accessible, were chalked up the four mystic
letters, and all Dublin was inquiring what they meant. The wager was
won, and the word remains current in our language.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Quiz from Infoplease:
- Quiz - Quiz: Can Your Kitchen Pass the Food Safety Test? —By Paula Kurtzweil, Federal Drug ...
- American History 101? - Compare your wits with the nation's best students by David Johnson Test Conditions The ...
- April Quiz - From Einstein to Earth Day, a quiz on people and things associated with April.
- July Trivia Quiz - How much do you know about U.S. history in July?
- Environment - The following table lists information about environmental issues, including global warming, the greenhouse gas effect, air quality, and more.