is sand which shifts its place as if it were alive. (See Quick.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Quicksand from Infoplease:
- quicksand: meaning and definitions - quicksand: Definition and Pronunciation
- Walt Whitman: Quicksand Years - Quicksand years that whirl me I know not whither, Your schemes, politics, fail, lines give way, substances mock and elude me, Only the theme I sing, t
- Quicksand - Quicksand is sand which shifts its place as if it were alive. (See Quick.) Source: Dictionary of ...
- Walt Whitman: Whispers of Heavenly Death - Darest thou now O soul, Walk out with me toward the unknown region, Where neither ground is for the feet nor any path to follow?
- Walt Whitman: That Music Always Round Me - That music always round me, unceasing, unbeginning, yet long untaught I did not hear, But now the chorus I hear and am elated, A tenor, strong, ascend