(French). Who goes there? The challenge of a sentinel.
To be on the qui vive.
On the alert; to be quick and sharp; to be on the tip-toe of
expectation, like a sentinel. (See above.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Qui Vive from Infoplease:
- qui vive: meaning and definitions - qui vive: Definition and Pronunciation
- Qui Vive? - Qui Vive? (French). Who goes there? The challenge of a sentinel. To be on the qui vive. On the ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Q, q Qadarite Qadariyah Qadhafi qadi Qadiriyah qaf Qahar qaid qalandar Q and A ...
- Agog - Agog He is all agog, in nervous anxiety; on the qui vive, like a horse in clover. (French, à ...
- Fox's Sleep - Fox's Sleep (A). A sleep with one eye on the qui vive. Assumed indifference to what is going ...