(A). A strange or eccentric person. In whist, etc., when
a wrong card is played, the partner says to himself, “That is a queer
card,” which, being transferred to the player, means he is a queer card
to play in such a manner. Hence any eccentric person, who does not act
in accordance with social rules, is a “queer card”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Queer Card from Infoplease:
- Queer Card - Queer Card (A). A strange or eccentric person. In whist, etc., when a wrong card is played, the ...
- card: meaning and definitions - card: Definition and Pronunciation
- Cool Card - Cool Card You are a cool card (or pretty cool card). A person who coolly asks for something ...
- Card - Card That's the card. The right thing; the ticket. The reference is to tickets of admission, ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: Q - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "Q"