or Quack Doctor; once called quack-salver. A
puffer of salves. (Swedish, qvak-salfearë; Norwegian, qvak-salver; German, quacksalber.)
“Saltimbancoes, quacksalvers, and charlatans deceive the vulgar.” —Sir Thomas Browne.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Quack from Infoplease:
- quack: meaning and definitions - quack: Definition and Pronunciation
- quack grass: meaning and definitions - quack grass: Definition and Pronunciation
- quack grass - quack grass quack grass or couch grass,Old World perennial grass (Agropyron repens), now widely ...
- The Quack Frog - Once upon a time a Frog came forth from his home in the marshes and proclaimed to all the world that he was a learned physician, skilled in drugs and
- The Quack Doctor - A certain man fell sick and took to his bed. He consulted a number of doctors from time to time, and they all, with one exception, told him that his l