(3 syl.) made men of clay, and stole fire from heaven to animate
them. For this he was chained by Zeus to Mount Caucasus, where an eagle
preyed on his liver daily. The word means Forethought, and one of his
brothers was Epimetheus or Afterthought.
Faster bound to Aaron's charming eyes
Than is Prometheus tied to Caucasus.
Shakespeare: Titus Andronicus, ii. 1.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Prometheus from Infoplease:
- Fitzsimmons: meaning and definitions - Fitzsimmons: Definition and Pronunciation
- Prometheus - Biography of Prometheus, The god who gave fire to humans
- Prometheus - Starring Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Charlize Theron, Kate Dickie, Rafe Spall
- Prometheus: meaning and definitions - Prometheus: Definition and Pronunciation
- Robert L. Fitzsimmons - Fitzsimmons, Robert L. Fitzsimmons, Robert L., 1863–1918, British boxer, b. Cornwall, ...