? is—that is, the first and last letters of quæstio (question). ! is . lo in Latin is the interjection of joy.
S is a Greek p (), the initial letter of paragraph. is used
by the Greek grammarians to arrest attention to something striking (asterisk or star). is used by the Greek grammarians to indicate
something objectionable (obelisk or dagger).
(See Marks In Grammar.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Printers Marks from Infoplease:
- printer's mark: meaning and definitions - printer's mark: Definition and Pronunciation
- Printers Marks - Printers Marks ? is—that is, the first and last letters of quæstio (question). ! is . ...
- colophon - colophon colophon [Gr.,=finishing stroke]. Before the use of printing in Western Europe a ...
- John Day, English printer - Day, John Day, John, 1522–84, English printer. At his London shop Day designed and made type ...
- Christophe Plantin - Plantin, Christophe Plantin, Christophe , 1514–89, printer. Plantin left his native France ...