A game at cards.
“I left him at primero with the Duke of Suffolk.” —Shakespeare: H
enry VIII., i. 2.
... “Four cards were dealt to each player, the principal groups
being flush, prime, and point Flush was the same as in `poker,' prime was one card of each suit, and point was reckoned as
in `piquet.”' —Cyclopoedia of Games, p. 270.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Primero from Infoplease:
- primero: meaning and definitions - primero: Definition and Pronunciation
- Primero - Primero A game at cards. “I left him at primero with the Duke of Suffolk.” ...
- Córdoba, city, Argentina - Córdoba Córdoba , city (1991 pop. 1,197,926), capital of Córdoba prov., ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index PRF Priam priapean priapic priapism priapitis Priapus Pribilof Islands price price ...
- Gleek - Gleek A game at cards, sometimes called cleek. Thus, in Epsom Wells, Dorothy says to Mrs. Bisket, ...