A term introduced by Hunt and his friends, who wished to
intimate that they preferred the simplicity and truthfulness of the
painters who preceded Raphael. The term now signifies a very minute
imitation of nature, brilliant colouring, and not much shadow.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pre-Raphaelites from Infoplease:
- Pre-Raphaelite: meaning and definitions - Pre-Raphaelite: Definition and Pronunciation
- Pre-Raphaelites - Pre-Raphaelites Pre-Raphaelites , brotherhood of English painters and poets formed in 1848 in ...
- Pre-Raphaelites - Pre-Raphaelites A term introduced by Hunt and his friends, who wished to intimate that they ...
- William Holman Hunt - Hunt, William Holman Hunt, William Holman, 1827–1910, English painter. Hunt was a founder of ...
- Dante Gabriel Rossetti - Biography of Dante Gabriel Rossetti, Romantic poet and painter of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood