Before Adam was created. Isaac de la Peyreri maintained that
only the Jews are descended from Adam, and that the Gentiles are
descended from a race of men existing before Adam; as the book of
Genesis is the history of the Jews only, it does not concern itself
with other races. (1655.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pre-Adamites from Infoplease:
- pre-Adamite: meaning and definitions - pre-Adamite: Definition and Pronunciation
- Pre-Adamites - Pre-Adamites Before Adam was created. Isaac de la Peyreri maintained that only the Jews are ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index pouch pouched pouchy poudrette poudreuse pouf Poughkeepsie Pouilly ...
- Jambuscha - Jambuscha [Jam-bus-cah]. Adam's preceptor, according to the pre-Adamites. Sometimes called ...
- Vathek - Vathek The hero of Beckford's fairy romance. He is a haughty, effeminate monarch, induced by a ...